Tuesday, June 28, 2016

The Rainbow of Marsa Matrouh

When I am in the desert you hardly find me wearing any shoes. They 
seem not important for me even if I am in town. Walking barefoot when 
I can or with socks only somehow gives me a thrill, although people 
must find it weird or sometimes absurd, am sure :) This time I did 
not only -as usual- ignore putting on my shoes; but I also got to 
relive the experience of driving without them… I got to remember 
feeling the power of the engine taking up or slowing down as I press 
on the gasoline pedal. It's as if I can feel the wheels against my 
soles, such an exciting feeling.. me and the car are one!

I was driving on the road from Siwa to Matrouh, the sea was on my 
left side and the desert was on my right side, when the view from the 
windbreaker was literally divided in two. 

Through the left side of my windbreaker I saw beautiful fluffy clouds 
in different shades of blue, yes different shades of blue, it was as 
if they were part of the blue sky.. the shades of blue were melting 
into each other like a water color painting; the upper part was a 
darker blue, and the blue became lighter and lighter the more we 
looked down towards the horizon. 

Through the left side of the windbreaker I saw white-grayish clouds 
that became grayer and heavier as we drove on. And before we knew it, 
drops of water hit the glass and they were coming on harder and 
harder..

All of a sudden the whole scenery changed..the sand on the road 
turned from its usual warm yellowish color into a a peach / orange 
hue, and the sky on the left side remained blue and the shades of 
blue became slightly darker since the sun was setting from in the 
background..

We had to stop, and I mean we HAD to stop, and get out of the car. I 
pulled over and of course looked for my abandoned sandals..

It was pouring and the raindrops hit the asphalt with such force that 
made each drop splash back upwards in a 30 degree angle, losing its 
cohesiveness at impact.

I stood facing the sea, the wind and rain blowing against me. Before 
me rested wet sand the color of peach, dark palm trees and then the 
darker sea and the ever varying shades of blue clouds set an amazing 
background …we had to take pictures.. 

After taking a few pictures in the rain, we got in the car once more, 
and I took off my sandals again a drove on.. the raod was stark black 
with stark white lines in the middle..looking up our eyes were hit 
once more with another form of beauty..There were straps of colors 
rising up from the earth towards the blue part of the sky and its 
blue clouds..It was the rainbow greeting us..

We drove on on the silky road, and all of a sudden the rainbow was 
right in the middle of my windshield, it was as if it was the 
extension of the white lines on the road and I had the urge to press 
harder on the gasoline pedal, feel the car's vigor grow so that I can 
take off, leave the road and drivie on the perfect lanes of the 
rainbow lying vertically ahead disappearing into the skies.....

Noha El Shoky
30 November 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment